Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, Zimbabwe

July 22, 2011

Nowhere to be until 10 AM pick-up for the bridge slide (zip line). Yes, dear readers, yours truly will attempt to defy her absolute fear of heights by doing this insane activity across the Victoria Falls gorge. Pamela, Iris (another zip line rookie) and I decided to go as a group with Shelly being our photographer, using my camera in sport mode so that she could capture our every move. The first indication we had that this was not going to be fun was when we had to be weighed. OK, this would not have been too bad except that they then proceeded to write your weight (thankfully in kilograms) on the inside of your forearm, along with some other information regarding your activity and position in line, to make it easier for the guy who was doing the videotaping. After 18 days of carb loading, late-night eating and over-indulgent drinking, we were bracing for the worst. (Thankfully, at this point, I had only gained 3 lbs.)

Then, further ignominy when we had to be placed into our harnesses. My guy's name was Mike. When I told him my dad's name was Mike, he said I could call him papa. We both cracked up, and then I told papa he'd better look out for his daughter and make sure all my straps were secure. Iris asked papa to make her harness so tight that she would have marks and indentations on her body after her ride. Pam was scaring me when she said she was having bondage thoughts while she was being strapped up. And then, of course, the jokes went flying...

Barb: "Does this harness make my butt look big?"

Iris: "I like it. It makes me feel skinny."
Pamela: "This must be how you feel with bondage."

We joined a German gal and Dutch guy when it came our turn to head to the starting point. I felt like I was going to the gallows. The European couple went first, then Pamela, Iris and myself. When it was Iris' turn, the videographer recorded her as he asked her some questions prior to strapping her to the line. Since she wasn't prepared for the interview, she slipped in the s-word, making her video PG-13 instead of family friendly.

When it was my turn, I was at least prepared for the interview - having watched Iris. When the videographer asked me how long I had been planning to do the bridge slide, I replied, without hesitation, "Five minutes." He cracked up so much I thought he was going to drop the camera. (I don't know why I thought that zip lining over a roaring gorge coming off Victoria Falls, one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World, would cure my fear of heights). 


As soon as the operator shoved me forward and I lost contact with the solid earth, I was scared to death. It didn't take long for me to turn around in the harness and zip backwards over half of the way. I remember yelling over and over again, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" I didn't think I was even close to the bridge support at the end of the line when I collided with the guy who helped pull you in. Since I wasn't expecting him to be there, he scared the living daylights out of me. Eventually he and the other guy pulled me in and told me to boost myself onto the catwalk by bracing my foot against the railing. I kept telling them that my foot was on the railing and I still couldn't get my rear onto the catwalk. Once they told me to brace my foot against the higher railing, then I could get myself up to where I needed to be. During the entire process I kept telling the guys, "don't let go of me. Don't let go of me." My legs were so shaky, I could barely walk along the catwalk to exit to the bridge. I think exiting the zip line was a hundred times scarier for me than the actual ride. When I got onto the bridge and joined the others, Shelly said, "You didn't look like you were having too much fun." I told her she was right.


Waving goodbye to Shelly for posterity (just in case we don't make it).

Pam exhibits her veteran expertise with the zip line.

Granny Iris lets loose with a triumphant roar
as her ride comes to an end.

What the hell was I thinking???


Even though Shelly didn't take a turn on the bridge slide, she had some stressful moments. Before the 3 of us took our turns, she was in prime position for photography - a lonely looking gal with 3 cameras and a backpack full of our passports, money and electronics. No sweat. And then, out of nowhere, busloads of students on a field trip emptied onto the bridge, surrounding and pressing against her. Forget about personal space issues - she was worried someone was going to snatch the backpack and everything we had. She couldn't wait until Pam finished her turn so she could get some reinforcements to block the press of human flesh.

Much needed diet cokes to settle the stomachs of all 4 of us after we finished, then back to the lodge for lunch.

At 3 PM the entire group reassembled in the lobby for our rescheduled tour of Victoria Falls (local name: Mosi-Oa-Tunya

Shelly and Pamela.  Shelly is modeling our stylish, yellow slickers.

Awesome rainbows at every turn.

The beauty of Victoria Falls at every turn.

The Victoria Falls Bridge, where we zip-lined just a few hours ago.

Quick showers back at the lodge and off to our closing dinner at the BOMA. I tried almost every interesting meat dish that was featured in the buffet: warthog w/ BBQ sauce (excellent); ostrich w/ mushroom sauce (pretty tasty); kudu w/mushroom sauce (thumbs down); smoked guinea fowl (hated to eat our favorite little hens from each safari, but tasty); crocodile tail (very good); impala terrine (did not try because I don't care for pate); eland stew (too full to have stew); caterpillars and monkey nuts (get real. There's no way I was going to even think about eating those!) Lots of fantastic desserts, breads, starters and salads - all served buffet style. Entertainment featured drumming and fantastic dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment